Why Men Go Bald

Why Men Go Bald

Not all men go bald, but over time most men will have some level of hair loss. 95% of men will bald due to androgenetic alopecia, commonly known as male-pattern hair loss.  The remaining 5% are due to other factors.  For the vast majority of men, hair loss will be progressive.  Progressive hair loss is usually slow paced and most men don’t even realize their hair is thinning until almost 50% of it is gone.

Why do men go bald?

Bosley Hair Transplant ResultsHair loss is a genetic trait, a trait passed down from both sides of the family contrary to common belief that it is solely passed down from the maternal grandfather.  The genetic traits for hair loss can be passed down to men and women while having the potential to skip generations.  Siblings can even be affected differently showing how hair loss traits can be quite random as well.

Male-pattern hair loss is common and characterized by a receding hairline and thinning on the crown of the head.  Typically hair on the sides and back of the head remains even when completely bald on top.  This hair loss pattern is caused by the hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which affects genetically sensitive follicles while leaving DHT resistant hair follicles on the sides and back of the head unaffected.

The unaffected follicles that are resistant to DHT are used as donor hair in permanent hair restoration procedure techniques like the Bosley FUT (Follicular Unit Transplant) and FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction).  When transplanted, the donor hair retains its DHT resistance and will continue to grow where genetically sensitive hair failed.  This is why hair transplantation is so successful in permanently restoring hair that has been lost.

The impact of DHT on hair can be lessened with Propecia®, which is a prescription drug for men only.  Propecia® inhibits the formation of DHT and can slow the progression of hair loss for the non-transplanted hair, while also helping those in the earliest stages of hair loss.  Note: Propecia® can help you keep the hair you have but will not bring back hair that is already lost.

FDA Cleared hair loss treatments and devices can complement your hair restoration plan (decided by you and your Bosley physician).  Treatments include Minoxidil, part of Bosley Professional Strength for Men and Professional Strength for Women, Bosley Theradome™ Laser Helmet and Bosley LaserComb Elite®.

To get started schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with a Bosley Counselor.  Get your questions answered and find out if you are a candidate for hair transplantation.